Szklarska Poreba is a very popular tourist destination, offering many attractions all year round. It especially attracts sports enthusiasts- mountain climbing, bicycles, walks, and in winter cross-country and downhill skiing. There are also many architectural monuments here, museums, curiosities of nature and beautiful landscapes. also, There is an extremely favorable climate in Szklarska Poręba, and the accommodation facilities are very well developed.
Szklarska Poreba it is located in the valley of the Kamienna river, in the treatment of the Karkonosze and the Jizera Mountains, at the foot of Mount Szrenica. Surrounded by forests and hidden among the hills, it is undoubtedly one of the most picturesquely situated, Sudeten villages. Szklarska Poręba is very stretched, and its buildings are at a height of 440 do 886m n.p.m, whereby, we divide it into the Upper one, Medium and Lower. It is a very good starting point for trips to the Jizera Mountains and the Karkonosze Mountains- even in their Czech part, as there are several border crossings in the vicinity, pedestrians and cars (e.g.. Jakuszyce). Less than half of them live here 8 thousand. people.
The climate prevailing in Szklarska Poręba it is specific and differs from the climates that can be found in similarly located places. It is much more severe than in the Tatras, the conditions prevailing here are compared to these, found in the Alps. It is a typical high mountain climate, characterized by high insolation, relatively low temperatures and low air humidity. Thanks to that, it is extremely beneficial in the treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Skiers, however, they owe him the opportunity to ski all the way through 110 days of the year- because there is so much snow cover here. There are also some disadvantages to this climate, which can be felt especially when hiking in the higher parts of the mountains- the weather can be very capricious.
Szklarska Poreba is a commune town situated between the Karkonosze Mountains, and the Jizera Mountains. Szrenica towers over the town from the side of the Karkonosze Mountains (1362m npm.), which is also a ski center. From the side of the Jizera Mountains, the shape of the High Stone is visible in the sky (1058m npm.). And from the east, from the Jelenia Góra Valley, they separate the city of Podgórze Karkonosze. The area of the city is approx. 76 km˛, of which over 85% are forests. Currently Szklarska Poręba is inhabited by over 7 thousand. residents.
The history of this town and its name are related to the development of glass metallurgy in these areas. The first glassworks and the settlement connected with it were established in these lands as early as in the 14th century. The time of establishing the glassworks was also the time of intensive logging in order to obtain the fuel necessary for smelting the glass. The first traces of the smelter's activity can be found in the area of Szklarski Potok, whose regions were then rich in quartz necessary for the production of glass and beech wood. It is to these historical facts (the existence of glassworks, intensive logging) the town owes its current wording: Szklarska Poreba. The second foundation of the establishment of Szklarska Poręba were seekers of precious stones and ores, who appeared in these areas a little earlier – already in the thirteenth century. In these and later times, the Walloons intensively penetrated the Karkonosze in search of “treasures of the earth”. Traces of their activities have been preserved in many places to this day (excavations, windows, marks on the rocks). In the 18th century, pyrite mines operated in these areas.
The later initiator of the metallurgical development (establishment of new glassworks) and at the same time the Schaffgotsch family became the owner of the area of today's Szklarska Poręba.
For several hundred years, the leading field of economy in this area was glass manufacturing.
In pre-war times it existed here 26 independent settlements. Some of them are now housing estates of Szklarska Poręba – e.g.: White Valley, Ironworks, Marysin.
From the mid-nineteenth century, Szklarska Poręba began to become a more and more dynamically functioning tourist center. A breakthrough event for tourism in the vicinity of Szklarska Poreba was the construction of a railway linking Jelenia Góra and Tanvald (1902 r.), roads from Piechowice to Harrachov (1847 r.) and the Cableway “Szrenica” (1962 r.). The tourists were mainly attracted by the beauty of the landscape of the Karkonosze and the Jizera Mountains, picturesque landscapes and the desire to experience the charms of wandering around this charming one, mountainous surroundings, attracting writers to these regions, poets, painters and sculptors. This is how the artistic tradition of Szklarska Poreba was initiated, which is continued to this day by contemporary artists.
Szklarska Poręba only obtained city rights 1959 year.
Krzywe Baszty is a granite rock group located on the left bank of the Kamienna River. It owes its name to a fairly significant deviation from the vertical. In its south wall, at the foot there is a small one, several meters long cave, which was created as a result of the past exploitation of pegmatite deposits for the needs of a porcelain factory. Krzywe Baszta is located on the road from Szklarska Poreba to the border.
Raven Rocks is a large rock group located on the right bank of the Kamienna River, within the administrative boundaries of Lubawka, between Osiedle Skalne and Wilcza Poręba. They reach less than 30 m as high and are a great place for rock climbing. Their peak is an excellent viewpoint of the Jizera Mountains, Karkonosze and their highest peak: Snow White (1603m npm.). The rocks are made of granite-gneiss.
CIRCLE OF DEATH
This intriguing name was given to the turn on the Sudecka Road- connecting Szklarska Poręba with Świeradów Zdrój. He has almost 180 degrees and actually, as the name suggests, contributed to numerous accidents. However, this does not discourage tourists from visiting this place in crowds- from the arch surrounding the rocky slopes of Czarna Góra, there is a magnificent panorama of the Karkonosze Mountains.
Wobble is unique, a rock group of several meters high composed of granite blocks. Due to the shape of the tallest granite boulder with a diameter of approx. 4 m formerly known as the Sugar Bowl. The tallest of the rock blocks is undoubtedly exceptionally situated. This is because it is based on the following blocks only in two points, which makes it possible to swing the boulder with a small force. It is for this reason that the present name of this rock group functions: Missing. Thanks to its uniqueness, Chybotek is a very popular attraction among tourists. In addition, it is worth adding, that there are many legends associated with it, which say it e.g.. about that, that the wobbling boulder blocks the entrance to the underground vault.
Wysoki Kamień is a peak that we can admire from Szklarska Poreba looking towards the west. Its absolute height is 1058m. The summit is located in the High Ridge of the Jizera Mountains. The post-war times were associated with the functioning of the PTTK shelter on this peak, which, due to negligence, had to be liquidated, and the hostel building in 1963 year demolished. To this day, only the foundations of the shelter and the observation tower have remained there. In addition, the top is decorated with a rock perch with a height of approx. 30m and a length of almost 500 m, made of rocks. It is impossible to remain silent about the magnificent panorama stretching from the top, with particular emphasis on the view of the Karkonosze Mountains.
Złoty Widok is a rock threshold located above the Kamienna valley, reaching up to 20m in height. Undoubtedly, it is one of the most magnificent viewpoints of the Karkonosze and their famous peaks: Śnieżka, the highest in the Karkonosze Mountains (1603m npm.) and the Szrenica towering over Szklarska Poręba (1362m npm.). Near Złoty Widok there are Chybotek and the Karkonosza Tomb, described in many legends, it is impossible to pass by indifferently.
CHURCH OF P.W. GOD'S BODY
Church of. Boż Ciała is located in Szklarska Poręba at ul. Kard. Stefan Wyszyński 2. It was built in 1884-1886 in the neo-Romanesque style. The building was funded by the Schaffgotsch family. The church was renovated in 1958-1960. In the church you can admire neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic furnishings. The paintings and banners inside, painted by Wlastimil Hofman, deserve special attention (among them located in the main altar “Christ with the Eucharist” against the background of Szrenica) and a crystal chandelier from the Julia crystal glassworks.
CEMETERY CHURCH P.W. OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY
Cemetery Church. Our Lady of the Rosary is located in Szklarska Poręba at ul. Piastowska. It is the oldest preserved to our times and the first Catholic church in history built in Szklarska Poręba. Its walls were erected approx. 1650 year. The baroque reconstruction of this building is dated on 1819 year. The interior of the church is decorated with a late Renaissance altar. Several tombstones from the 18th and 19th centuries have survived in the church cemetery, among them the oldest grave of the glazier Pleussler z 1804 r.
CHURCH OF P.W. OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF THE BVM
Church of. Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located in Szklarska Poręba at ul. Piastowska. Its foundations have existed here since 1855 year. The construction of the temple erected for the Evangelicals has been completed 1887 year. From 1945 year serves Catholics. The interior of the church is decorated with a baroque pulpit, paintings by Wlastimil Hofman and antique crystal chandeliers made in local smelters.
The Mineralogical Museum is located in Szklarksa Poręba at ul. Kiliński 20. It is located in a wooden manor, the creation of which is dated at approx. 1860 r. The museum's exhibition covers approx. 2500 exhibits – mostly minerals, precious and ornamental stones from all over the world and fossils. Exhibits such as the fragment of the Carboniferous forest in front of the museum deserve special attention (petrified trunks of a Dadoxylon tree, which grew here approx. 300 million years ago), dinosaur remains and one exhibit from outer space: Gibeon meteorite. The Mineralogical Museum in Szklarska Poreba has one of the most original collections of geological exhibits (mineralogical and palaeontological) in Poland.
Czerwona Jama is an artificial structure created as a result of the exploitation of the pegmatite deposit in the 19th century. It is located in Rudzianki on the rocky bank of the Kamienna River. Its height is approx. 4m, the depth reaches 6m.
THE HOUSE OF WLASTIMIL HOFMAN
House of Wlastimil Hofman, Young Poland painter of Czech origin, is located in Szklarska Poręba at ul. Matejko 14. Wlastimil Hofman, student of Jacek Malczewski and Jan Stanisławski, he lived and created his works in Szkalrska Poręba in the years 1947-1970. Some of his works can be seen in the House of the Hauptmann brothers and in the Karkonosze Museum in Jelenia Góra. The painter's historic house is privately owned. The owners of the House of W.. Hofman, however, are so accommodating, that, after telephone arrangements, they make this historic house available to visitors.
THE HOUSE OF JAN SZTAUDYNGER
Jan Sztaudynger's house is located in Szklarska Poręba at ul. 1-to Maja 55. Jan Izydor Sztaudynger (1904-1970), graduate of Polish Studies at the Jagiellonian University, member of the literary and artistic group Helion, teacher, employee of the School Board in Poznań, lecturer at the University of Poznań, organizer of puppet theaters, the editor of the Puppet Theater magazine lived and worked in Szklarska Poręba in the years 1946-1950.
DOM GERHARTA I CARLA HAUPTMANNÓW
The House of Gerhart and Carl Hauptmann. The Karkonoski Museum is located in Szklarska Poręba at ul.. 11 November 23. It was built at the end of the 19th century, when the Hauptmann brothers succumbed to the charm of the Karkonosze and decided to settle there. History of the house from 1921 the year beginning is known only in part. The younger brother, Gerhart (1862-1946), German writer, playwright, laureate of the Nobel Prize in Literature 1912 year, he lived here until 1901 year. The older of the Hauptmann brothers stayed in Szklarska Poręba, Carl (1858-1921), doctor of philosophy and writer. The idea to create a museum in the Hauptmann house arose at a time when the building required a comprehensive renovation. In this way, after the adaptation of the building from 1994 year, the Karkonosze Museum is located in the house of Gerhart and Carl Hauptmann. The permanent exhibit of the museum is an exhibition devoted to brother writers. On the ground floor of the house, there is an exhibition devoted to the legendary figure of the Mountain Spirit.